Christmas is right around the corner, and if you’re anything like me then you know that means its time for lists. Lists of everyone I want to get gifts for, lists of ideas for each each of those people and of course a wishlist to share with people who have me on their list. For me, that wishlist and gift list is full of the best clean beauty products I know, so I can help myself and my loved ones detox their homes one gift at a time.
I think of Christmas as a great time to look at different areas of my house or life that I want to detox. Do I want to do a juice cleanse in the New Year? Am I interested in making new cleaning products or eliminating artificial fragrances from my home? Or – most often for this clean beauty junkie – do I want to detox my bathroom a little more?
I’ve long been a beauty product junkie. I don’t wear much makeup, but I deeply love the process of taking care of myself. The rituals of skincare, dry brushing, long showers with body scrubs and masks and body oils. The process of getting made up, on the rare occasion that I do, brings me a sense of peace and calm (one of my versions of hyygge). But when I learned a few years ago that these rituals may be contributing to hormonal issues, build-up of toxic metals in my body and possibly even cancer, those once soothing parts of my days became overwhelming and scary.
The good news? The world of clean beauty has come so far in the past several years, and now you don’t have to sacrifice quality products for healthy products. They may be a little pricier than what you’re used to, but there are also some incredible brands at lower price points if you’re just ready to dip your toe in the water. What better time to start detoxing your bathroom than Christmas or Chanukah? Read on for a few of my favorite beauty treats, and add a few of these self-care treats to your wishlist.
- Suntegrity Body Sunscreen SPF 30 – anyone who knows me knows what a big proponent of skincare I am, and the number one thing I recommend is sunscreen everyday. When it’s cloudy outside? Wear sunscreen. Going to be indoors all day? Wear sunscreen. Running late to work and don’t have time for your full routine? Put a mini tube in your car or purse and wear sunscreen. Everyday, friends! Suntegrity is my favorite green beauty pick, because it hasn’t bothered my skin, has a delightful circus scent and can be rubbed in fairly easily. If you haven’t used natural sunscreen before, be prepared for a little white tint that you’ll have to work to rub in. That’s completely normal, but well worth it to keep your endocrine system in check!
- Herbivore Cocorose Body Scrub – This stuff smells seriously incredible, and leaves your skin feeling soft and moisturized for hours after using it. I’ve tried countless scrubs, but this one is hands down the best. And with such a simple list of ingredients, it’s an amazing find.
- Mun No. 1 Aknari Brightening Youth Serum – The amazing ladies over at Le Vert Beauty recommended this serum to me, and I’ll be forever grateful. It leaves my skin dewy and glowing, but has a small list of very luxe ingredients that I can actually identify. Skincare winning.
- Ilia Lip Conditioner in Crimson & Clover – All of Ilia’s lip conditioners are amazing, but I love this sheer juicy red for the holidays. Holiday parties, New Year’s Eve, date nights… this lip color is perfectly bright but not overpowering, smells delightful and leaves my lips feeling so soft and moisturized.
- One Love Organics Gardenia + Tea Body Oil Spray – Moisture is clutch in my world. It’s what leads to that healthy glow (other than getting your primary and secondary foods in order, but that’s a different story for another time) we all crave. I spritz this bad boy on after a shower, rub it in and get compliments on my skin and scent all day. I cannot live without this stuff.
There you have it beautiful! A few of my favorite things, and goodies I’ll definitely be hoping to find in my stocking this year. Other favorite brands are May Lindstrom, Vapour Beauty, Soapwella for deodorant and RMS Beauty.